11.30.2008

Activities Committee

Callings held that are associated with Activities

2004 - 2005 ---First Friday Dance Co-chair (Josh Lawyer)
Fall 2005 ------Break the Fast Co-chair (Spencer Jentzsch)
Winter 2006 ---Activities Committee Co-chair (Gavin Hawkley)
2006 - 2007 ---Enrichment Leader (the one and only LISA BABCOCK!!!!)
Fall 2007 ------Enrichment Counselor
Winter 2008 --Activities Committee Co-chair (Adam Hansen)
2008 - 2009 --Social Events Co-chair (Tom Whitney)

and let me mention that I am only 23. Goodness gracious I feel like I have been planning ward activities my whole adult life, I have. It's not bad, promise, I actually kind of like it, but here is the kicker, I still have a really hard time using my committee!!! I think it is because from 2004-2006 very few people on my committees were helpful. I have always recruited my friends to do the work of my committee because I knew they would do things the way I wanted them done, and if they didn't I would tell them, ever so politely, to redo it =) I would not have survived the BYU 123rd Ward socials without Brady, Lisa, Nikki & Bree, they were LIFESAVERS!!! Back to the point. This Saturday is the Washington D.C. 2nd Ward Christmas Party and Tour of Mount Vernon by Candlelight. Up until this point my co-chair and I have done all the work, however, this week I am going to DELEGATE!!!!!!!! I am not any good at delegating, and I may call some of you for moral support so I don't have a complete and utter melt down that things are not done my way, but I am way too stressed for this. We need at least 30 drivers, only 20 signed up, we have 30 more people signed up then we have tickets for, I have to decide who of those 30 get the spots of those who don't show up, we have to guy table cloths, set up a dinner for 175, make sure that enough salad and dessert will be provided for all 175 people, coordinate rides & directions, and. . . . oh, i'm not even sure what else. it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. But what I have realized is that I am not supposed to do it all. I am supposed to figure out what needs to be done and ask the committee to help. I just wish my co-chair were in the blasted country to help me figure out how exactly to delegate to people that I don't know and have never seen or talked to in my life! A topic for another day.

Maybe, if I learn to delegate, the Lord will provide me with an opportunity to serve in a different capacity, where I can learn different lessons?!?! Either way delegating will make all future activities a learning experience not just for myself but for all involved!!!!

Alright, I must get back to typing up 150 peoples names, phone numbers, whether or not they can drive, and how many people they can take. wish me luck!!!!

4 comments:

Bree :--) said...

AHHH...good luck!! Sounds stressful. Eric and I were both called to the activities committee (as one of our 3 CALLINGS!!), and come to find out when the committee got together to plan out the Christmas party that there is me, Eric, and ONE other lady in our ward on the committee! WHAT THE?!? So, our party is this Friday, and it should be interesting!

You will be great. Delegate, that's what I'm good at! :). Call me if you need support. Even if everything is not up to Lo-lo standard, I bet people won't even notice, they'll just be thinking about the yummy food. It will be great!

Interested to see how it goes.

Eve said...

One interesting way to delegate is to put people in charge of things. Make them feel responsible. (I know this sounds like just the same old thing--) But there's a difference between saying to someone, "I need you to get 25 white linen table cloths." and saying, "We need to make the tables look nice--we have this many tables--do you think you could help me get them together?" If they say yes--then say, GREAT! I have so much to do. I trust your taste. Stay within this budget, and your completely responsible for making the tables look great.

Then keep tabs on it. Micromanaging is just too stressful. It gives committee members chances to prove that they would make a great leader some day--but on a smaller scale.

Usually things turn out better than you could have ever imagined.

erin sheely said...

You are amazing my lolo. I'm proud of you! and you know you can call me for moral support anytime.

Megan said...

we are way too much a like it's scary! I don't know how to delegate either- Let me know how that goes. Love you!

Megan