1.30.2007

almost over, i hope

I really hope this whole computer nightmare is just about over. Let me catch you up to speed.

Since I bought my computer in July 2005 I have had troubles with it. The screen will go black, white, black and white, some strange color and it will not let me get back into the programs I was running. I have to manually turn it off so I loose my spot whereever I was, and if I was dumb enough, I loose anything that hadn't been saved yet.
About 3 months ago I started getting really upset about the problem because it started doing whatever it did just about every time I left my computer for an hour or more instead of just sparatically. I called Dell A LOT and everyone had a different diagnosis to my problem. They came out and replaced the motherboard and memory on Martin Luther King Day and then they had me send my computer in so that they could replace my LCD screen.
I was really hoping that the LCD screen would fix the problem because it kind of made sense that that was the problem, so I did a little test. As soon as I got it back I turned it on and left it for a long time. Don't worry, within two hours it was freaking out again! (i know this is a long story, but isn't it fun!!!)
Needless to say last Monday the 22nd I got on the phone with Dell and I was irrate. I swear my entire FHE group heard me speaking very loudly with a man who was insistant that just reinstalling some drivers (which we did at least 3 times) would fix the problem. Finally, after me crying at him, about not wanting to send my computer back one more time, and telling him that Dell had lost a customer, he told me that they would send me a refurbished computer to replace my cruddy one.
I was grateful but still kind of frustrated. They said that they no longer made my computer so they had to send me a bigger one. The only reason I bought a Dell was because they made a 12 inch computer that was easily transported to and from campus. When I called my mom in tears about the whole situation she got upset. I love how protective moms are and I am so grateful that she was willing to step in and fight for me.
She got a nice lady in customer service, I had been talking to hardware support people, to agree to send me a comparible computer that was a 12 inch. And today it came.
It is a cute new computer, black, nicer than mine is, or so it seems. Now I am just waiting to figure out why they sent me two AC adapters. I will never understand why Dell outsources their hardware and technical support to India, it just ticks their customers off because the people who are trying to help them don't understand them!!!!! Anyways, enough of my ranting. I just thought I would let you all know that I might be able to move on with my life and stop wasting so much dang time on the phone with Dell.
WISH ME LUCK!!!

PS I have a test tomorrow, a test Thursday, a test Monday, and a test Friday. Don't expect to hear much from me unless I get really tired of studying. Maybe this will be good for you and I will post more! Who knows, we will just have to wait and see! =)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Gosh, I am really sorry about your dang-dong computer. I hope this new one works out better for you. Good luck on your tests too, you are faboo!

erin sheely said...

for the love...i am just glad you have one that works now!

Corinne said...

thank heavens for a mommy

tom said...

I'm glad you got a new computer. Hopefully this one will be better!